The Public Works Department (PWD), Government of Manipur is a Department for creating permanent assets of the nation and State such as Roads and Buildings. These are based on national standards which engineers specify and are constructed through contractors. It establishes the rates for cost of construction which is the basis for construction throughout the State and is brought out in the Manipur Schedule of Rates from time to time. The vision of PWD may be defined as “to set standards of excellent engineering practice in making work, dwelling and public places functional secure and environment friendly and to enable travel to the remotest corner of the State in the safety and comfort, and economically without tampering the ecology.” PWD Manipur is administered according to the CPWD norms.
This essentially refers to the content describing the owner Department of the website and comprises the following information:
PWD is the government department for creating permanent assets of the nation and the State such as Roads and Buildings. These are based on national standards which engineers specify and are constructed through contractors. It establishes the rates for cost of construction which is the basis for construction throughout the state and is brought out in the Manipur Schedule of rates from time to time. PWD Manipur is administered according to the CPWD norms.
The vision of PWD may be defined as “to set standards of excellent engineering practice in making work, dwelling and public places functional, secure and environment friendly and to enable travel to the remotest corner of the state in the least time possible in safety and comfort, and economically without tampering the ecology”.
A Sub-Division (1891 – 1947):
After the British occupation of Manipur in 1891, Public Works Department of Manipur began as a sub-division of CPWD Division whose head office was at Shillong.
During the 56 year period some of the most enduring and outstanding British India buildings and roads were constructed that continue to be landmarks till today. Some these buildings are the Governor’s Bungalow, the Inspection Bungalows (IBs) at Kanglatongbi, Kangpokpi, Karong, Maram and Mao and the Administration buildings in the Kangla Complex. The IBs are located at about 20 km intervals. The spacing is presumably guided by rests required by travel on horseback or about 6 hours on foot with rests in between for the district administration.
The Dimapur – Imphal Highway extending to Moreh was constructed as a war effort with it’s arched culverts and bridges made of bricks and lime-mortar.Only geometrical correction and pavement thickness have been made but the alignment is remains. This is a golden period in the history of Manipur PWD, even though it was only a sub-division.
1947 – 1949 : Information during period is not available.
A Division (1949 – 1954):
It functioned as a full-fledged Division till 1954 under the Central Administration. It was in a state of flux because most departments had to be organized from scratch and statutes and administrative procedures had to be newly framed for their working.
Two Divisions: 1954
A 2nd Division was created in 1954 and Tripura and Manipur came under one cadre headed by a Principal Engineering Officer. The next year the services of Mechanical Engineers were obtained from Assam PWD.
Principal Engineering Officer: 1957
In the year 1957, a post of Principal Engineering Officer exclusively for Manipur was created and it came into being from 10th June, 1957.
|Principal Engineering Officer (10th June 1957), P.W.D.|
|Sanitary Engg Division||Water Supply & Irrigation Division||Highway Division (1st August, 1957)||Electrical Division, 1958|
In 1957, One Executive Engineer and 4 Assistant Engineers came on deputation from C.P.W.D.
The services of one Executive Engineer and certain subordinate staffs were placed at the disposal of the Territorial Council. A large number of schools, dispensaries and other Government buildings were transferred to the council from January, 1958.
Superintending Engineer and A.F.A.: 1958 – 1960
With 6 Divisions and manpower drawn mainly from C.P.W.D., P.W.D. was the biggest department in manpower as well as expenditure.
|Principal Engineering Officer (10th June 1957), P.W.D.|
|uperintending Engineer assisted by AFA|
|Irrigation Division||Highway North|
(Under Territorial Council) Territorial Council Division)
Additional Principal Engineer: 1961
|Principal Engineering Officer 10th June 1957, P.W.D.|
|Superintending Engineer assisted by AFA||Additional Principal Engineer 1961|
|PA to PE||Surveyor of Works 1962; PA to APE. Each Division under an AE|
|1.Sanitary Engg Division||2. Water Supply Division||3.Irrigation Division||4.Highway North Division||5. Highway South Division||6. Electrical Division||7. Stores & Workshop Division 1960-61||8. Astt Architect||9. Electrical Works Division||10.Division||11. Division||12. Division|
Stores & Workshop Division was transferred from being a Tools & Plant Sub-Division of Highway North. The number of Divisions increased to 14 in 1963 by amalgamation of Territorial Council Divisionsdue to administrative reorganization.
Chief Engineer (1970 – 71):
PWD bifurcated into Public Works Department and Electricity Department in 1970. Erstwhile Superintending Engineer (Electricity Circle) became the Head of Department of the latter.
PWD: Chief Engineer
He was assisted by 4 Superintending Engineers and 1 Superintending Surveyor of Works.
There were 15 Divisions.
1. 1. New Road Investigation Division and
2. 2. Survey and Investigation Division
1. 1. 1964 3 Construction, Improvement and Maintenance of Buildings Divisions (Churachandpur,
2. 2. Highway North Division
3. 3. Highway South Division
4. 4. Irrigation Division
5. 5. Flood Control Division
6. 6. Drainage Division
7. 7. Irrigation Embankment & Drainage Division (Imphal)
8. 8. Water Supply Division
9. 9. Procurement & Distribution of Stores Division
10. 10. Automobile Workshop Division
11. 11. Electrical Division
Electricity Department: Chief Engineer
1. 1. Electricity Maintenance Division No.I
2. 2. Electricity Maintenance Division No.II
3. 3. Electricity Project Division
On 12th Feb, 1981 PWD was trifurcated into PWD, IFCD and PHED21/36/80-DP dt. 12th